Before we start to wonder about CogAT practice test, it is of extreme significance that we know what CogAT test is. CogAT or Cognitive Abilities Test is an assessment test that challenges a student’s abilities in many areas. After the completion of study life that spans over 12 years, a student may appear for this cognitive abilities test.
What is CogAT Practice Test?
As it requires 12 years of thorough learning from the student’s part, it is also known as a K-12 test. Cognitive abilities normally comprise skills at verbal ability, quantitative aptitude and problem solving.
So a CogAT practice test can only refer to a preliminary or mock test that may help a student in doing well at Cogat. But, people should remember that CogAT is a test of one’s reasoning ability and not depth of knowledge.
Many a times, it happens that a very good student, who got highest marks in their respective colleges, could not score very well at Cogat. The reason behind this could be that knowledge of Maths, Physics or Chemistry would not help in this particular type of test.
Cogat has three sections, namely, verbal, non-verbal and quantitative sections. Those different sections are discussed below.
Verbal ability test
Verbal ability is always a very important part of any cognitive test. So, to attain a good score at Cogat, one needs to make verbal ability a priority in their cogat practice test.
This section normally checks the vocabulary and grammar sense of the student. Ability to understand the meaning of certain words, comprehending the gist of a long passage, and good grammar sense are the pre-requisites for a good score in this section.
Some of the important points of this section are:
• Synonym/Antonym: One need to have an extensive set of vocabulary to recognise words of similar meaning.
• Sentence completion: There might be some sentences that may need completion with a suitable word from given options.
• Comprehension: A passage would be given and questions would be asked from it.
This, as the name suggests, is the test of one’s problem solving capabilities. Cognitive testing is incomplete without this section. Some of the important chapters of this section could be:
• Number series: A series of number would be given and you would be asked to find the missing elements of the series. In order to do so, one needs to understand the relation between the numbers first.
• Equation: Building equation and solving them are always part of cognitive ability test.
This is perhaps the most interesting and challenging section for the students. So a lot of time and importance should be given to this section at cogat practice test. In this section various types of puzzles are posed at students.
To solve them, one needs to have calm and composed mentality. Picture analogy, relationship inference and figure classifications et cetera are parts of this section.
Here are some related Articles and information: