Almost all parents assume their child to be one of the geniuses, and actually they are. The Cognitive Abilities Test is widely used to find out the genius in the child. Cognitive Abilities Test system is designed keeping in consideration that the individual should be tested in three categories; quantitative reasoning which pertains to mathematical problem solving, non-verbal testing which pertains to geometric figure testing and verbal reasoning which pertains to comprehensive skills.
Reasoning is one of those features of human being that is developed with time and experience. Also, every individual develops reasoning skills at a different pace. One common misperception is that COGAT test measures an individual’s effort or hard work or previous knowledge, this is not the case as COGAT is entirely based on individuals reasoning skills and nothing else. CogAT Tests are Generally Used to Predict Success of Students
Cognitive Abilities Test
As mentioned above a COGAT evaluates an individual on three bases. This article will discuss these three criterions in some detail.
Verbal reasoning or verbal batteries
The verbal section will measure lingual thesaurus, verbal reasoning, sentence completion and verbal analogies .This portion of the test is usually dedicated on evaluating the fluency and the flexibility that the individual has in making verbal reasoning decisions. These skills deal with critical thinking and other useful aspects on an individuals decision making skills.
- Verbal Classification: The student is asked to identify the words having same underlying meanings
- Sentence Completion: The student has to find the most appropriate words to fill the blank spaces
- Verbal Analogies: The student has to make a relation between different words
Non-verbal reasoning or non-verbal batteries
This portion of the COGAT test uses shapes and figures to evaluate and individuals reasoning skills. The students have to figure out strategies to find a meaning full relation between figures.
The students are expected to be efficient and effective in implementing these strategies.
The test requires no reading and no prior knowledge.
- Figure Classification: The students have to find a similar relation among figures like the one that exists in the question figure,
- Figure Analogies: Out of the three given figures the first two are similar and the third one is similar to the answer figure
- Figure Analysis: The student is given a paper of a folded paper and he/she has to figure out how the paper looks when it is unfolded.
Quantitative reasoning or Quantitative batteries
This portion of the COGAT test evaluates a student’s reasoning skills based on mathematical skills. The students have to use mathematical functions in order to solve the problem given to them. This is a test of their analyzing and problem solving skills.
- Quantitative Relations: The student has to choose the best out of three possible answers
- Number Series: This involves completing a series of number based on previous relations.
- Equation Building: Student has to use mathematical functions to solve a problem
All-in-all COGAT is a system that evaluates an individual based on their reasoning skills entirely. No, part of the Cognitive Abilities Test is associated with the IQ or the motivation that an individual has. Ease The Anxiety Of CogAT Test For Students